Saturday, February 23, 2008

A week with very little training...

So, this week is slow due to testing and school schedules. I was scheduled to attend a Monday and a Wednesday class. Monday happened to be President's Day.... No class there. Wednesday, the county closed afternoon activities, so I ended up with no classes. Thankfully, Jake took me to his house and we worked on kata/hyung/forms for about 90 minutes. We spent a good amount of time on my sidekick in Bassai Dai. Did a bit of work on Kanku Sho and Nijushiho as well.

The interesting thing about the training with Jake was the video. (Sorry no Youtube videos this time... I'll explain why.) I was both entirely satisfied and totally disgusted by the videos. The kata were boring. Fundamental technique was strong, but they were inherently boring forms. Jake said I obviously looked like I was a 1st Dan looking to move to 2nd and that the foundation was strong... BUT it's obvious my armchair karate-ka nature had taken some of the vim and vigor away.

To quote Vaughn:

Must.
Work.
Harder.

No comments: